Thursday, May 8, 2014

Cheese Burger

I had another Dream.

I was riding around with the Demon.

I knew he was the demon. I could see it when he looked at me in the way that he looked at me... wide brazen eyes. Whenever I saw those eyes I knew that they knew. I did not know that it is that I knew that they knew. That wasn't the important part. That wasn't the... horrifying part. No. I didn't need to know what it was. Just knowing that they KNEW whatever it is that they knew was enough to fill my heart with terror.

I could see the sun out. But it was night. It wasn't the sun. I just thought of the light as sun light because whatever the light actually was was making it look like it was dawn out. But it wasn't. When you actually checked for it. There was no sun... just endless dusk on a nameless night.

The Demon drove me around for quite a while. We were running errands but we were driving so very far away for these errands. I remember trees and fences and fields as I stared out the side window away from the beast wishing I was somewhere else.

But my eyes did wonder. I turned away from the dusk shaded fields to my right to find it was night through the front window. Just black out. Whatever that light was, it wasn't touching the things right in front of us. Or so I thought. When I turned back toward where the dusk was it was gone. As were the fields and and the fences and the trees. No more dusk laden meadows. We were in a dark place now, surrounded by red buildings with red sidewalks and black roads. Black Lamp posts shining red lights down on the world were the only source of light here.

... that and a single massive sign just to the left of the car we were in.

I leaned back to get a good look at where we were.

McDonalds, in all its proper colors. The building and the sign weren't a crimson red like everything else. It was a little slice of reality in this horrid poorly lit world.

"I want a cheese burger," said the Demon.

I froze when he stop and then turned to give him a funny look.

His gentle knowing demeanor quickly changed into something more impatient and frustrated.

"I said... I. Want. A. Cheese. Burger... get to it."

I looked up at the building again and then back to the demon before taking a deep breath and getting out of the car.

'I can do this. Just a cheese burger. Easy.'

So I walked over to the door and opened up... took a step in.

The lighting was wrong. Most McDonalds are well lit and inviting. This place had nothing but florencent over head lights hanging down a foot from the ceiling, all of which lacked covers so you could could see the tubes making the lights. There weren't enough of them across the store's floor. They were just over tables. The areas between tables where notable less lit... like a poker room I guess?

There were five people in this store. All of them black and brown. Mostly short hair with visible scars and odd markings. Not tattoos but... almost recognizable faces and shapes pressed into their flesh... brandings maybe. Two of them where in the McDonalds outfits. All of them where grathered around one of the round tables close to the clerks counter and the cash register.

When they saw me, one of the ones in the employee outfit jumped on the table and bared their teeth... their long toothy fangs...

"MEAT!" he declared pointing at me as the other four people from around the table stood, the four of them presenting their own fangs in turn.

I pressed against the door and tried to get it open but it wouldn't budge. The one on the table dropped down and started walking toward me, the other four following close behind me. I put my hand up in front of my face. It was all I could think to do in my panic... when I fell the door I was pushing on suddenly give and then stop.

I opened my eyes to find the Demon had opened the door. He pushed me back out and stood between me and the creatures in a commanding stance. "This ones mine."

The five creatures all hissed and clawed at nothing in the air like beasts before backing up and returning to their table.

The Demon directed me back to the car.

I hesitantly climbed in... still very rattled from what I had just seen.

"Wh-What the fuck was that."

"Vampires."

"... What?" I looked at him funny. Like somehow vampires were a stretch when I knew I was talking to a demon.

"Beings that feed on great emotion," he said with a grin before looking back at the road and driving off.

He never got that cheese burger... but I knew that wasn't the point of that stop.

As we I leaned back in my seat and basked in the sweet glow of this fake dusk, I knew one thing. Wherever it was this car was taking me didn't matter. Nor did I need to worry about what we were doing... why we were doing it... nor did it matter that I was of doing whatever it was I was doing with the Demon.

I was his. And that's why we stopped there.

So he could show me... it didn't matter what he sent me to do or where he took me... because he was there...

Regardless of what happens at each stop, hes always going to be there.

I just need to accept his choices... take his orders... and try to enjoy the ride.

Sloth Out

2 comments: